Friday, April 2, 2010

ENDLESS COLUMN with EGGS

Constantin Brancusi’s well known sculpture “Endless Column” will be the first art work which I will reproduce with some different materials. Let me first tell the process:

One morning, while I was having my breakfast, eating soft-boiled eggs, I put one of the shells on the other. Then I just realized how it resembles a module of the Endless Column. That was the morning which I have started to collect egg shells to build my Endless Column of Eggs. This was a great opportunity to think about and get familiar with Brancusi’s work. I was feeling that I was having my breakfast with Brancusi. In two weeks I had about 30 egg shells which was enough for the 16,5 modules column.


The original sculpture was erected in Târgu Jiu, Romania on 27 October 1938 and it had a restoration between 1998 and 2000. One of the things I have learned about the sculpture during this process was that it was made as a tribute to the young Romanians who died in World War I, and is a stylization of the funerary pillars used in Southern Romania.



Here you can see the original Endless Column by Brancusi:

And here is my Endless Column With Eggs inspired by Brancusi's:

Column has been an inspiration for lots of sculptors. As an example the work “Philosophy of Time Travel”, of five artists based in Los Angeles who studied together at California Institute of the Arts (also known as CalArts) — Edgar Arceneaux, Vincent Galen Johnson, Olga Koumoundouros, Rodney McMillian and Matthew Sloly, can be shown. In an article at The New York Times it is said that “Their goal was to strip the Endless Column from its context as a Modernist World War I memorial and drop it into a different time and space: to present new, liberating meanings and the possibility of nonstandard histories.”

The sculpture is not only an inspiration for sculptors, but for all artists. For example György Sándor Ligeti, a composer born in Transylvania, Romania, named his “Etude for Piano Solo no.14” as Infinite Column after the sculpture. The Etude is composed within the proportions of the Endless Column (16,5 modules), as a spiral of endlessly rising musical scales. Here you can listen the etude and see some pictures of the original Endless Column:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter