Monday, May 31, 2010

Coming Across a "Modern Sculpture"

This post is about Sir Anthony Caro, an English abstract sculptor who was born on the 8th of March, 1924 (exactly 62 years before I was born on the same day in 1986). He is widely viewed as Britain’s greatest living sculptor.


Below you can see some of his works:
Slow March (1985)
Steel, painted gold & red

Milbank Steps (2004)
Steel, rusted

Not So Flats (1975)
Steel, rusted & varnished
 
To see more of Caro's work click here!

The tribute work is not done by me this time. I found it in front of a mall called Kentpark in Ankara. I don’t exactly know who made this “installation” since it is done by workers of one of the stores. I guess pieces are going to be used as shelves in that store so the work is “an assembly of found industrial objects” like most of Caro’s works. I will try to find that store and take some pictures when they are in use (their actual use) then update this post. So here are the pictures of the anonymous work:
And some details of the "installation":
This installation made me think how easy to make modern sculptures and this is not a disdain of modern art. On contrary, it is exaltation because the ability to observe and the courage to see the esthetics of the simple are what make art, art.

Update: I found the store which used those hexagons. It is Harvey Nichols' Kentpark store which will open its doors today (June 7, 2010) Unintentionally, it sounded like an advertisement. So here are the photos of vitrines:   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Hit Counter